Defining the hats can be a daunting task as they change so often in the run of a day - and then actually naming them with the roles and responsibilities that come with them can cause a bit of a sinking feeling. But let’s try it without having an anxiety attack in the process.
But before I start, the nice thing about having all of these hats to change into is that they are all so diverse and so satisfying in their own way. They all look different and feel different and when I have them on they produce a “feel good” emotion unlike the last. So, really, this task of naming them could be a positive experience and a real in-depth discovery of who I am.
My Hat Closet
My closet is full, sometimes too full, of different head pieces. They include: mom, wife, student, employee (I have 2 of these), sister, daughter and friend. And sometimes they are specific hats such as hockey mom or travelling employee.
The most beautiful hat that I wear is my mom hat. It’s full of colorful pictures stuck to the fridge, all of the questions that seem to come from nowhere and it’s filled with the “I love you’s” for no apparent reason. This is the hat that is worn at all times, usually the one underneath all of the other hats. It’s a little worn and tattered because of constant use over the last 17 years but it’s my favorite hat; the one hat I feel most comfortable in.
My wife hat is the one that I bought into 12 years ago. Wearing this hat gives me the feelings of security, acceptance and love. When I wear it, more often than not, I feel safe. Although, through the years I have thought of returning it or trading it in, I know that this is a hat that I cherish and I will continue to mend it each time it is damaged and I will continue to nurture it long into my old age.
My other hats are important as well, but they are changed throughout the day depending on schedules and deadlines. I have been known to wear many different hats during the course of the day and sometimes a hat can come off and then an hour later, because of situations that I hadn’t planned, on it goes again.
My hat situation isn't special. It's all relative. Everyone has a hat closet. Everyone changes hat. The hats just have different names and different meanings.
If I were to go through my hat closet, I couldn't throw away any of them . They all have contributed to who I am and who I am to become.
No comments:
Post a Comment